PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If I was a rich man...
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2011, 08:12
nick ritter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I am concerned, London has just got out of control in terms of prices and costs. How the average family gets by is far beyond me

Working through some very high and optimistic numbers fills me with despair

I believe that in the UK only 60 basis points of people earn over £150k a yr. Does that make you rich?

Even if you take that number to say, £500k a yr, on an assumption that most people at that level only have 10yrs to maximize this, you are looking at £5m, or £2.5m after being run over by the tax in this country

Given that a modest house in a semi respectable part of London is £1.25m, an education for two kids another £500k, a pension contribution needed to try and achieve the maximum allowance at retirement of another £500k, this very well paid person would be left with 250k to spend over the 10yrs. Heaven forbid that person were to get divorced

It is utter madness. You would need to be earning in the very top few basis points of this countries pay band and you are still, as far as I can tell, not wealthy. Yes, you are cash rich, but lose your job, your wife, or anything else and you are ruined

It is a miracle anyone can get into the air as far as I can tell, especially when what little is left over is going into a £115 tank of petrol and another 50 for a mediocre pizza with your wife at strada

Where that leaves the majority of us is beyond me