PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Centre-line lengths
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2011, 04:57
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He says that pilots flying into & out of international & often unfamiliar airports should appreciate the rwy standards, by way of markings, etc, it's certifications..... That was his argument anyway.
What bolleaux. Who cares about the width of the centreline marking? How is it relevant at all? I'm not going to vary any aspect of operation because I thought the line was 2cm too short. The only relevance could be whether it is a Cat I or Cat II/III bunch of markings and, even then, it really does not affect the price of fish. As you say, you're going to have a look at an unfamiliar airport and brief any differences that might exist in Stinkarseystan but you're not going to check their certification standards and make sure their marking dimensions are correct.

Not knowing what certification standards & limits you're operating under can get you in trouble real quick, real bad. Eg: TERPS vs PANS OPS.
I don't agree with that either. What are we supposed to do, check every aspect of every airfield chart to ensure they conform or trust Jeppesen et al and use the information they provide. If you change the way you operate because one minute you're using TERPS and the next Pans Ops, then you'd be the first pilot I've ever met who did. Everyone I've ever met just uses the plates they've been provided. We're pilots, not chart makers.