PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2011, 04:22
LucasGaedeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visible Strabismus, do I have a chance?

Hi Everyone,
As many of you I dream of becoming an Airline pilot since many years. I was born with a strabismus and had 4 surgeries since then. The last surgery was 5 years ago when I was 18.

I managed to get a German class 2 and did my German ppl-a back in 2006. Currently I study in Florida and was able to get a FAA class 1 medical with no restrictions. I finished my US commercial instrument in 2010.

I have never thought of getting a class 1 in any country. I only made it because of the help of many good people including my medical examiner.

Now the problem I have is that I want to fly and live in Europe and that I need to get a JAA class1 intitial to do so. I am pretty sure they will fail me after reading through many previous posts.

I have a clearly visible strabismus (eso and up) especially when Im tired or when I focus with the right eye (I can switch between my eyes). It has been a couple of years since I have visited an opthamologist, which is why I cannot remember my exact symptoms. The things I know are that I don't have double vision, I have 20/20 eyesight and a normal field of vision. I do not have stereo vision and cant see whats on the test cards.

I would apreciate it if some of you share your experience and if you think that the faa class1, jaa class2 and faa ratings I currently hold will help me pass the jaa class 1? I have 170 hours total time.

Thank you all very much!!