PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crosswind landings, side slipping woes
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2011, 16:55
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my SPL days (and I have still got mine - it was a full student pilot's license with cardboard cover) I was taught to hold the crab attitude until the roundout and, the instant before touchdown, kick or P-U-S-H off the drift with rudder. I managed to do it that way when I got my PPL and thought little more of it except to accept that cross wind landings were a bit of an "arrival". The year after I qualified, I found myself on my hols in Canada and wanting to fly a light aircraft. I obtained the required "Tourist Pilot's Permit" and reported to the local airfield for a Canadian Style checkout on a Cessna 150. (Yes it was that long ago!) We had a crosswind and after a couple of circuits my instructor said: "Huh - I guess you were taught by an ex-RAF instructor. Here we do crosswind landings like this: You drop the wing which is into wind and then line the aircraft up on the runway with rudder. You can easily put a C150 down with 30 kts. across that way - no sweat!"
On my third circuit, I tried this technique - it worked and I was rewarded with a pass so subsequently, I spent quite a few hours exploring the outskirts of Toronto, Lake Ontario and Niagara Falls with my own friends aboard.
Since that time I have always used this technique for crosswind landings and can confirm that it also works on all S.E aircraft I have ever flown including Chipmunks, all light twin engined aircraft, Trislanders, Twin Otters, Shorts SD 330/360's and Jetstream 32's. Other friends and acquaintances have confirmed that it also works on Boeing 707's, Boeing 747's, Viscounts, Heralds and BAC 1-11's. Don't know about airbuses though!

P.P.