PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crosswind landings, side slipping woes
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2011, 13:58
Plasmech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crosswind landings, side slipping woes

I'm having a bit of a rough time mastering the side slip, which is obviously) necessary for crosswind landings, at least the type of crosswind landings my CFI wants me to do. Due to the fact that short final is such a, well, short amount of time, even with 30 or so crosswind landings under my belt I don't feel like I've had time to master it. Say I'm landing on runway 27 and the wind is out of 180 at 5 knots. My CFI will say left aileron, right rudder. I try my dangest to execute that command but it always seems like I either put in way too much aileron or not enough, and never enough rudder. I think him verbally commanding me to do two opposing things is causing background confusion for my brain as well...maybe if I just did it...

So let's say I am on final for 27, being blown due north at a speed of 5 knots. I should line-up on the runway and bank the plane maybe...3 degrees (?) to the LEFT...but put in just enough RIGHT rudder to still be pointed at the center-line. It's this simple, right? I might have to add a little power due to the fact that slipping is inefficient, even a gentle side-slip. This doesn't seem like it should be so tremendously hard to do but for some reason I get all messed up out there on a windy final.

Any words of wisdom or tips/tricks for learning how to "master" the side-slip? I think once I have this maneuver down, I'll be in great shape as it doesn't get much harder than a crosswind landing during non-emergency flight in sane weather, at least I am supposing it doesn't.