PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stuck on what to do!
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2011, 13:09
aviatordom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck on what to do!

Hi everyone,

My medical condition has recently prompted me to reconsider my career options (yet again). I am currently studying Health and Social Care but after being told that I could not join the Ambulance Service as frontline staff because of my Epilepsy medication I have lost almost all interest in the course, also my mind was always wandering off to thinking about flying which suggests that I would be happier doing something else.

I'm considering becoming a dispatcher as the skills needed to work in dispatch are ones that I believe I would be able to meet or would be able to attain. There is a course at the college where I am currently at which would allow me to eventually become one and my Mum is persuading me to do this, convinced I would make a rubbish engineer.

On the other hand, my Dad strongly believes that I would be better off working in maintenance/engineering and thinks I would be cut out for it. He also says it opens more doors for me in the future but is openly minded and doesn't mind what job I go into, as long as i'm happy.

What contradicts his opinion is the fact that I am retaking my Maths GCSE and my fine motor skills whilst being okay, aren't fantastic.

Despite this, I have received a course offer from a technical college which say that they develop your hand skills needed for engineering and they also have links to an apprenticeship in aircraft maintenance. I also made it to the interview stage last year of a big, local aircraft parts firm that offers apprenticeship and have been invited for an interview again this year.

I still feel that my hand skills and the fact that I failed foundation GCSE maths with a D grade is the man up there telling me that I shouldn't go into Engineering.

I don't want this to sound like an agony aunt page but from your viewpoint (without trying to be biased towards your sector please!) what do you think I should do?

Should I try my very best and work like crazy to become an engineer or admit defeat and try something else in aviation?