PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Airways may faces being grounded after safety breaches
Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:06
1a sound asleep

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why Tiger will never make money

It'll do none of us any good of Tiger fails. My guess though, is the CP and his pilots will continue to operate in the most professional manner right up untill the last one out the door turns out the lights!
I think if Tiger goes home it will be good for Australian Airline industry. And yes hats off to the crews maintaining Australian professionalism under difficult circumstances

Why Tiger will never make money

1. Australia is long distance territory. This is not SIN-KUL, SIN-DPS
2. We have a mere 22 odd million. Tokyo has 30 million. By comparison more Australians fly than just about any other population, however
3. Australians have been used to a high standard of airline service. On time performance, low cancellation rates, and high service levels including some body you can talk to. Everything Tiger does is the opposite of Australian expectations
4. Tigers model of low cost and no service appeals to the lowest level of Australian society and the ones that you'll never make money out of.
5. Tiger has nothing but low fares. This is the only reason to fly them and as a consequence they have no capacity to increase fare levels
6. Cutting every cost to try and make a profit will bite them hard on the bum with CASA and future costs, which I bet are unprovided for.

Reality is the type of operation that would have worked is a no frills high standard airline like Southwest.

How long will Tiger last in Australia? Likely longer than we may wish as I dont believe they will admit defeat easily

Why would it be good if they do go bust? Those remaining will still fight it out and be competitive BUT will be able to sustain some sensible fare levels of say 10% higher which will secure jobs and growth in the remaining carriers