PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol Testing of Flight Crew
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2011, 22:19
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Rechtsstaat", a german word that translates to "constitutional state" or "rule of the law" according to my dictionary is what this is about.
It is about having to prove your innocence. It is about police walking up to you and accusing you of something, and you as subject to the law having to prove it wrong. It is about randomness of gouvernmental powers, infringing on the rights of an individuum.

The testing might be seen as reasonable, I myself am almost convinced it is. But this is only the beginning of a little tear in a system that will go really bad if allowed to become a large rip. Believe me, we in Germany have been through this.

You cannot allow the authorities to continue this.

If I, like anyone, make a mistake that can be traced back to being intoxicated (and no, it doesn't always end in a crash; the professionals out there will know the relation between incident - accident - catastrophy), I shall be held responsible for negligent behaviour, manslaughter or whatever. And I will have to stand trial and take a punishment. But don't accuse me beforehand.