PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 26th Apr 2011, 20:58
SansAnhedral

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
We all know that "per unit cost" talk can be skewed by however you slice up the pie due to R&D, maintenance, build quantity, and the myriad costs associated with production. The current usually-agreed-upon values for the V22 are typically around $65-70 million a piece, but if you use the GAO calculations from 2007 then it looks like $93 million.

Im not totally qualified to speak about the Marine's ideas about the OTH philosophy. I suppose I trust that the Marines understand their own evolving requirements enough to ask for the capabilities, and that the requirements are fluid and evolutionary over time. What isnt in question is that the capability provided by the Osprey is highly valued within the Marines and AFSOC. Does that jive with OTH, and are they mutually dependent? I dont think its as relevent as you do.

btw EFV is not dead, it has changed names to MPC/ACV and the new program is being fast tracked (no pun intended) for 2014 at last mention.

Even IF OTH were completely abandoned, my original question remains. What are your alternatives for the V22? Should we just piss away the investment (like VXX times 10) made over the last 2 decades just when the aircraft is hitting its stride as evidenced by repeated good performances in the field and the capability it provides AFSOC and Marine commanders? Do we reopen the CH46 lines or what?

To me, it looks like the argument against the Osprey has shifted with the winds of its successes. No longer can people just hammer away on it being unsafe or unsuccessful in the field. The criticism has turned into attacking the tactical philosophy behind the Marines original requirement for the V22 in the first place.