PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between MSA and SSA
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2011, 15:26
jriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fellow Aviators,

I didn't bring up GPWS. BOAC did. I certainly don't use that as my "safety net." I also don't blindly trust ATC to give me a safe altitude to descend to.

MSA covers an area almost 2000 square miles, or 500 square miles per quadrant. So I'm not neccesarily going to climb to MSA if I get a GPWS warning. MSA is, after all, 1000' above the highest terrain in that 500 square mile quadrant. ATC could very well have traffic at or below MSA because they have an MVA that is lower right where you are. That's why I said "Climb until the warning stops AND YOU ARE CLEAR OF TERRAIN." That's the part that BOAC deliberately left out to try to make me look foolish. If it's night/IMC and the frequency is saturated, of course I would climb to MSA. But let's be realistic, we aren't going to remember that from 20 minutes prior and we aren't going to be rebriefing every few minutes. I have simply NEVER seen that happen.

Do I brief the approach? Of course! I don't brief the MSA because in my experience it is NEVER used. Now if I fly into an unfamiliar airport with high terrain at night/IMC, I will, but other than that I think it simply clutters the briefing and is thrown out there and instantly forgotten because it is NEVER used.