PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another war in the Falklands?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2002, 22:29
Nearly there!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope Grimweasel is deliberately appearing ignorant for the purpose of provoking a reply - if he is then it has worked! If he isn't then I would be happy to set him straight on the effect of the 'Black Buck' mission he is so damning about. Sure, only minor damage was done to the runway at Stanley, but it showed the Argies that we had the capability to mount heavy bombing missions over the enormous distances involved. The *real* result of the mission was that a portion of the Argie fighters were relocated from southern Argentina to the north, to protect their mainland against another Vulcan excursion (Buenos Aires!?). This meant that air superiority over the Falklands was achieved more quickly, and with fewer naval losses, than if the Vulcans had stayed at home. So there!

Alright then - a quick flash. I don't claim to know anything of army or naval doctrine, so I wouldn't rush headlong into criticisms of past battles I know nothing about. Our surface-bound colleagues would be well advised to show similar restraint unless they have something valuable to contribute!

Also, why are many pongos so jealous of the spending on Typhoon? It seems to be fashionable to repeat parrot-fashion cries of "cold war relic" every time it comes up. I think I speak for most of the RAF when I say that none of us begrudge the other services getting new kit - we all have our parts to play (apart from nukes, which major service assets have been unused in the last five years??). One team and all that...

Flash over.