PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sudden fear of heights/claustophobia
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2011, 21:24
Paperplanes89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden fear of heights/claustophobia

Dear all,

I am a pilot wannabe and have wanted to be a pilot since about 6yrs old, I am currently 21. Between the ages of 13-16 I was in the air cadets and probably accumulated about 5 hours flying and I loved every second of it, loops, stall turns etc, and a sense of fear never crossed my mind. For my 21st I went for a flight in a piper warrior, again had a fantastic time. Recently I have been on a flying course totalling about 8hrs. Half way through the course, after again being completely happy and confident even during aerobatics, when we were flying between a thick cloud base below and a thick base above I suddenly felt scared, I started sweating and felt like I wanted to get out the aircraft. I held myself together and just got on with things though, although I was really not very comfortable. On the ground I spoke briefly to my instructor and he said it was not uncommon and it was because there was no feeling of forward motion, between the thick cloud and no real defined horizon it was as if we were hanging in the air.

After this flight, I had about 4 flights, each about an hour long. What I found was about about 3000ft I started getting this scared and very uncomfortable feeling again. I did contain it, but I wondered what I would be like without the instructor next to me. In the air, my mind raced and I started thinking about alternative career choices etc etc.

It wasn't really possible for me to tell/talk the instructor about my feelings.

I just want to know, if anyone has experienced similar problems and have they got over them, or any general advice on the topic. The feeling was generally being a little anxious, which would climax into a feeling that I was trapped and just wanted to get out for a few seconds before I collected myself again. I wouldn't say I was having a panick attack or anything and I was able to continue with reasonably complex manoeuvres for a rookie pilot. I just fear what I would be like solo! I would say I am a little claustophobic but nothing major at all. I have never been afraid of heights.

I haven't been put off flying, but these feelings really must go away! As I said below 3000ft -ish I am completely comfortable. It's really odd.

Apologies for the waffle, if anyone could offer some experiences or advice I would be very grateful.