PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever get a break?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2011, 20:47
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffin Corner,

I am not suggesting that all candidates that qualify as commercial pilots will walk into the profession. Personally, I do not know, or have factual statistical data from PPRUNE or the CAA, however, my comments were drawn from experience.

All candidates that qualify come from a broad spectrum of back rounds, and will have different reasons for wanting to do the job. Throughout my instructing days I saw many people go through the process of obtaining their licences, and on occasion it was evident that some of these people just did not have the personality traits or the right attitude of a professional pilot. As a result of that, that struggled to get a job. Others would get frustrated and give up very early on, and it was obvious that they did not have that special ingredient in their blood to persist. I even came across some people who got the job, and then decided it bored them to tears and resigned! While I was going through my ATPL ground school, every person that was in the class, through one way or another is now employed. Of course, a lot of this is based on timing. I appreciate now is not a good time!

What I am trying to emphasise, and once again I am only really looking at it from a view point I have from my own experience, is approach the task with an open mind, and a carefully thought out plan. Myself and a few others I know, took 10 years plus to get our first jobs, and it wasn't just luck, it was a result of climbing a big mountain with plenty of obstacles to over come. I guess I get mildly irritated when people are negative, as I had plenty of negativity from others when I was going through the process, only to realise now what they were telling me was nonsense, and a result of their own frustration.

It is difficult to advise people in today's climate, as you and I who have now secured our first jobs, are only trying to share our experience. Of course that experience is broad in the sense everybody has a different story. I like to encourage people who show a passion for aviation, and used to thrive on it when I was teaching. I am a realist and would not want to give anyone duff gen, however I still believe with the right tools in your tool box, you stand a pretty good chance of getting employed.