PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever get a break?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2011, 19:02
Coffin Corner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KAG

How can you say he trained at the right time? Of course at the height of the boom is the wrong time as well. The problem with alot of wannabes today is that they simply do not research. During the worst recession in history the flight schools were loaded with students, despite all the advice that is available on here etc etc. You also cannot say that he has had an interview already when this interview was with Ryanair. Whilst I am not turning this into a Ryanair bashing thread, you cannot judge anything on the back of what Ryanair does or gives out. If he had an interview with Eastern, bmi Regional, BMI, Thomas Cook, Flybe, Monarch etc then I would share your view (to a point). If the only option of sitting in the right hand seat is with Ryanair then this most definitely does not dictate that he did his training at the right time.

CAT3C

So help me with this. During boom time there is on average 250-300 new jobs created per year (PPRuNe got this figure from the CAA). out of the flight schools come on average 1200 wannabes per year (PPRuNe got this figure from the CAA). If you advise them all that "if you want it bad enough you'll get it" where are the other 900 jobs coming from? Are you seriously telling me it is good advice to be telling vulnerable wannabes that "if you want it bad enough you'll get it"? More people will never make it than those that will make it, that is a fact. You can tell them to chase their dreams all you want, but if the jobs aren't there they will never, ever make it - fact.
During my training I met some fantastic people, most, if not all were very dedicated. Out of the 40 odd people I met during my training only 5 of us got jobs, and one of those was only recently. This was in the middle of the recruitment boom in the mid 2000's
I would however, say that you need a positive mental attitude and determination, but this does not mean success like most people tell you.

Please wannabes, do not listen to this nonsensical notion that "wanting it" will see you succeed, it won't. Do your research, then when you think you have researched to death, do some more.