PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever get a break?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2011, 18:17
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no doubt that over the last couple of years that the recruitment policy of a few airlines and the criteria of guys getting there first job has changed.

However, on saying that, and with all due respect, you must approach this with your eyes wide open. If anyone ever asks me for advice with respect to getting you first job, you must have a back up plan. Very few people will walk straight into an airline job. If you appreciate this before you start your training you will not be disappointed when the time comes on obtaining your first job. Sadly few people realise this, and like you become disheartened at a very early stage. You will find many who post on these forums have ridden the roller coaster and waited years to get their first job, so, again with all due respect, waiting for a few months since the end of last year will not draw much sympathy.

As well as working hard to get your licences you have to work equally as hard to get your first job, which sometimes, may involve doing things that you do not want to do. Sadly just because you have busted your butt getting that little blue book, does not automatically give you the right to employment. You and hundreds of others are in the same boat.

Scoring the goal and getting that job you desire will be based on making mature and sensible decisions. It is also worth making as many contacts as possible within the business and gaining their respect, which will do you no harm. Of course this takes time and patience, and some people do not have these qualities therefore it leads to frustration, however, that is life and the quicker you learn this, the easier it will be.

please, please, please do not listen to advice that tells you "if you want it bad enough you'll get there". This is complete b0llox.
This comment from Coffin Corner I do not agree with, it is not complete bollox as he or she puts it. Life is a funny thing, and will present you with all sorts of twists and turns. However, with the correct tools, skills and a positive attitude eventually if you do want it badly enough, you will succeed.

Try not to get frustrated and be positive. I know it is a tough mix, most of us guys have been there, but it is worth it in the end.

All the best.