PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Friendliest Airfield - I dont think so!
Old 24th Apr 2011, 18:11
PompeyPaul
Pompey till I die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA

Pilots + GA sorts, a funny old breed.

It's expensive, so straight away you get a certain "type" that takes up flying. Generally has a few ££££££ spare and is very used to getting their own way. In business they are generally the boss and so spend their time telling others what to do. They don't, naturally, like being told what to do. In fact they hate it.

Thing is flying is also dangerous and so if you don't let people tell you what to do then you end up dying. Then the game is, which people to let tell you what to do ? It's a spicy, vindaloo of a political game.

Add to this heavy melting point the fact that most people are older, and therefore more conservative Telegraph reading types, and you end up with a phall

In my view, out of all the leisure activities I pursue aviation is the most peculiar. Whilst, initially, very welcoming that welcome can quickly (and I mean only slightly after your flying club fee is paid) turn into a bunch of bitching / back biting and politics that can be a real mine field to tread.

People booking lots of slots then not flying them, people not arriving back with the plane when they are meant to, let's not even get started on the fellows who can't wait to slate dead pilots before they're even buried.

I think there's a law somewhere that any thread on PPrune more than 3 pages long MUST be comprised of bickering only.

This thread is just going to run and run.

GA / flying, it's a funny old game.