PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Jamming
Thread: GPS Jamming
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2011, 17:59
Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they going to have umpty GPS (from several different manufacturers) equipped aircraft flying round all the VORs in the area reporting on discrepancies or is this just a bunch of clowns playing with toys?
I don't think the reason for jamming the GPS signal is to prove it messes up your navigation. GPS is a military installation, we are lucky enough to benefit from.

I'm sure the purpose of jamming the signal is more likely to do with ideas such as if some nasty person figured they could easily guide some nasty device with a slightly hacked GPS to cause mayhem then it might be a good idea to be able to jam the signal to prevent it, no?

It just proves again, that most people don't plan, and rely totally on GPS for nav. One day it's going to bite. Then again who reads NOTAMs? I was totally shocked at a recent safety day when several people when asked 'what is your current NOTAM solution' they shrugged shoulders and muttered things like, 'they are too complicated so I don't bother' or 'I ask someone else if they are about'.