PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blink update
Thread: Blink update
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2011, 15:32
hawker750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proceeeding Outbound

By comparing executive jet travel to the low cost airlines demonstates that you do not have the first clue about the economics of this industry. Of course you can create a market for £10 tickets because it did not exist before. The low costs manage this by achieving 5,000 hours per year utilisation and getting the crew to pay for their training (I am lucky to get 500 hours but I have NEVER asked a pilot to pay for a type rating). You cannot persuade many people to pay £10,000 to go to Malaga if they do not already do it. The market is stagnant for us and has even shrunk over the last 3 years. So tell me where do the start ups get their market?? Please tell me because I guess I have been doing something pretty stupid for the last 37 years.
Work this one one out The largest operator (Net Jets) cannot even make a profit and that is even with the clients paying for the cost of the aircraft. If it had not been for the largesse of Mr Buffett Net Jets would have folded years ago.
There is a market for start ups: find a small niche and do it well on a very very low cost base. That includes the armani suited mob cleaning out the aircraft loos at 3 o'clock in the morning ready for the next morning. Phil has had to do it and I certainly still have to.
Giving out all thse pearls of wisdom for free.... I must be going soft