PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2011, 11:36
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Back on topic

'Non-slip paint' is a clue to possible reprieve for threatened Harrier jets - The Scotsman

Refitted aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious is being prepared to accommodate combat aircraft, prompting further speculation that the government is preparing to perform a U-turn on the mothballing of the Harrier fleet.

The Scotsman has learned that the ship's deck, which has been earmarked as a helicopter carrier, has been painted with special paint which would allow for Harriers to fly from it.

While the Ministry of Defence has claimed that this would be normal, even if Illustrious does not have Harriers, Dunfermline and West Fife MP Thomas Docherty told The Scotsman that he was informed on a visit to Rosyth that a grade of paint is being used specifically to allow the fighter jets to be launched.

I understand that flight decks for helicopters use different paint to a CVS flightdeck?

With Britain involved in operations in Libya, the UK has been forced to fly jets from Italian airbases and RAF Marham in Norfolk because it is unable to put a carrier in the Mediterranean.

The Italian bases have proven to be problematic logistically for the RAF and there were also threats at one stage by the Italian government to withdraw their availability.

Oh! That should focus Government minds...

Defence Secretary Liam Fox is believed to be pushing for the Harriers to be brought back and either Illustrious or the recently mothballed Ark Royal to come back into action.Mr Docherty, a member of the Commons Defence Select Committee, was shown on a recent visit to the shipyard in Rosyth, where Illustrious is being refitted, that the carrier's deck has been painted with non-slip paint required for Harriers to be launched from it.

Dr Fox is of course a medical doctor - and therefore trained in evidence based decision making.

Taking the Harriers out of service early has also had a financial cost on the MoD with The Scotsman revealing last month that the government had to write off £1.4 billion in wasted spending out of a total of £6 billion.

I can't remember where, but I did see a rumour that GR9s are/were meant to be going Stateside (sold) as a source of spares. Why not trade in our disused Harrier GR9s for the USMC to use for training, attrition replacements, and spares, in exchange for a smaller number (12-14?) of AV8B+?

high spirits

I still don't understand what your point is. Since the Cole attack the world's Navies have put increased effort and resources into force protection. A carrier is, as you might expect, equipped with a lot of close range weapons, plus she can carry Lynx or Merlins that can be armed with the 0.5 Cal HMG, plus the aircraft can act as ISTAR assets....

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 24th Apr 2011 at 21:31. Reason: extra points to add