PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I`m 33....Should I go for ATPL now
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2002, 15:41
airshowpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck Apple! Don’t let anyone put you off if this is truly what you want to do but, ironically, you must keep your feet on the ground. Of course, getting the licence may be the second most expensive purchase you ever make but I still maintain that I would rather have the licence than a porshe sitting outside my house.

I took the decision to leave a well paid job about 18 months ago to work through the JAA fATPL the Modular route. I simply felt that I had to give my ambition a chance before I got 'too old'.

I've just turned 31, its taken me a year or so to get through the ATPL writtens. I have had several disappointing and somewhat unlucky results along the way. DO NOT underestimate the exams, especially if you have been out of study for a while!

I would recommend doing it piecemeal (modular) simply because it keeps your options open. If you have a PPL and the written exams you are well set to make a decision either way on the flying tests necessary to complete the fATPL, in short, the expensive part or you could choose to stay put.

Incidentally, I have been reassured that many airlines may prefer a more worldly-wise pilot in the right hand seat. I, personally, am totally committed now to a future in commercial aviation – it can be tough, but I’m looking forward to getting my chance some day soon. It certainly takes a lot of determination. But if you are positive, enthusiastic and personable why wouldn’t the airlines want to employ you?