PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remaining physically fit after leaving the military
Old 24th Apr 2011, 09:36
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Some let themselves go..

It's great to hear that some of us still try to stay fit and trim after leaving the Service. I eventually relented last year on Foreign Staff Course and got a 'new' set of Service Dress (second-hand, actually) and paid a local tailor equivalent of £8 to re-rank and fit medal ribbons and brevet (all salvaged from the old tunic). Perfect! Now I am living with Mrs WP on a pittance Abroad my weight has dropped and the No 1s hang on me. Oh well.

It is clear some who leave the Services give up any pretext of keeping fit. About a month ago when that Foreign Office 'team' got into a spot of bother in Libya, the BBC had an 'expert' on to discuss what was happening. The enormous bloater claimed he was ex Sgt SAS (THAT man on the Balcony) and wheezed complete and utter rubbish to the fawning interviewer. I'm sure what he said may have been OK, but I struggled to take seriously a guy who would have been uber-fit and now was probably hovering around 25 stone. Surely personal pride, inter alia, would want a relatively young guy (I guess about 50) to try and keep his weight down! Or am I being a bit mean?