PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2011, 05:14
CliveL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asc12

Let me ask it this way: Could a student in Aeronautical Engineering calculate the lift and drag for (non-vortex) Concorde using the same equations he would use to calculate lift and drag for say, a 777?

Well yes, there is no magic difference. You could calculate the lift and drag using the same methods as you would for any other delta winged aircraft, or indeed for aircraft with a 'classic' planform. You might have a bit of trouble handling the effects of camber, especially leading edge camber, if you were starting from a clean sheet of paper, but skin friction, form drag and lift curve slope (attached flow) are all calculable by standard methods. You might be pushed to get a decent estimate of lift dependent drag - I spent many hours in my youth looking for wind tunnel results on low aspect ratio delta wings to get some idea of what might be expected, but once you have tunnel tests on 'your' aircraft course there is no problem.

In other, other words... I understand that there's a very different phenomenon developing a chunk of lift at high AoA. But the wing still has a very unique shape and camber, so I wonder if-- when the AoA is *not* as high-- phenomena responsible for our 777 staying up fully apply to Concorde.

Again the answer is yes - in subsonic cruise (0.93M in this case) exactly the same sort of aerodynamics applies - different in detail, but the same in principle.

CliveL