PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First A-330 delivered?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2011, 09:44
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to disagree with some of the earlier posts. Rather than mocking those who 'commission large industrial plant and machinery', perhaps the RAF could learn a lot from them.
I take you point; however, the assumption was being made that the RAF guys at Boscombe would now take-over the Flight Testing of Voyager... not so... the continuing flight trials are being conducted by Airbus Military as part of their own flight test programme. It just so happens that Boscombe has a significant EMC test facility for Airbus Military, and, that it's more convenient for Voyager to be temporarily based at Boscombe (with Airbus technicians in attendance) than taking the various recievers over to France/Spain.

Quote:
To allow the RAF to write the operating manual and work out the best way to use it and also the limitations on it in service.
Why was that not being done at the same time the plane was being built? I've worked on commissioning large industrial plant and we had to have the SOPs, operations manuals, and all the staff trained ready for the day after the various contractors walked out.
The operating manuals aren't being rewritten for Voyager; but for the various recievers that are already in-service. Hence, the comparing of the testing of large industrial plant to the flight testing of Voyager becomes a significant anomoly; how would you accurately assess/predict how both would perform whilst within the design and planning stage?

Thus, as Helen49 says, this will ensure that it does what it says on the tin.

TCF