PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22/R44 PPL - What Type Next (EC120, 206, AS350, etc?)
Old 23rd Apr 2011, 09:35
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotorblatt101

In cost terms, the advice you've been given is obviously correct. For the same amount of money, you'd get more flying in a piston helicopter than any turbine. However, if the criterion is value for money then other factors have to be put into the balance, in particular pleasure for money.

The B206 is probably the least expensive of the other types you mention. I'm a PPL and I prefer to fly a B206 even though, for the same amount of money, I could fly more hours in an R44. For me, the pleasure starts the moment I hear that wonderful sound of the turbine spooling up. On reflection, the pleasure starts even sooner - when going through the pre-start procedures. The start needs a great deal more care than just jumping in and turning the key, as Jackx says, but for me that's all part of the enjoyment. Again as Jackx says, no watching torque or any other issues in an R44 but that's all part of my enjoyment.
For me, the B206 feels more like a 'real' helicopter than the R44. Just a personal view; others will disagree.
(I also fly the Gazelle. If you get the chance to fly one, take it.)

BTW, I am a Robinson fan in many ways. If it hadn't been for the R22 I probably wouldn't have started flying helicopters so I'm very grateful to Frank Robinson. I acknowledge that the R44 is the most economical way of flying with more passengers. I don't doubt that the R66 has many qualities but it seems too much like an R44 with a turbine, and I think it's a pity they didn't take the opportunity to introduce a proper stick.

FL