PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 22:47
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bear,

I am confused by your v/s posts :

Originally posted by bearfoil
No one to my knowledge has held fast to any theory that suggests the VS was the cause of upset, or for that matter separated completely before impact. Damaged? Certainly
The fact that 447 was laterally rotating supports the loss of the Vertical Stabilizer, anent JD-EE's maple leaf (acer helix). This is not to say that 447 lost her fin at altitude, she may have lost it much lower, its loss perhaps initiating 447's lateral rotation.
This has also to do with my admittedly stubborn conviction that the Vertical Stabilizer and Rudder were not on the fuselage at impact.
So which is it?

May I direct one's attention to the strut supporting the shelving (box) panel of the cabin structure in the excellent photo?? I'll repeat from a year ago, I have seen far greater damage to such a structure after one of these was dropped off a loading dock from two meters. Some thing is wrong with BEA's report?? Different airplane??
I suppose if one were to push this unit off the loading dock onto the concrete below, it would suffer significant damage. But, if you were to push it off the dock into the bay, it would probably be in pretty good shape. Now, wrap it into a cocoon (the fuselage) and drop it off the GW bridge and it would probably not suffer that much damage. If you review Post #s 2066, 3714 & 3729, they offer some possible explanations to this phenomenon.

As to the BEA, it would seem from their reports they have a team to help them in the investigation which includes the US NTSB. I am with lomapaseo on providing as much information as they have. The old saying "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" is at play here.

Last edited by Turbine D; 22nd Apr 2011 at 22:52. Reason: spelling correction