PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Outrageous Charge
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 21:45
rutan around

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YJPT, Seeking information and expressing opinion can hardly be categorised as having a 'sook'. I was originally asking whether anyone knew who had jurisdiction here. I find it surprising that govt doesn't set charging limits at aerodromes that have been fully paid for by govt, fenced by govt, and are a monopoly with no chance of that situation changing. I find it even more surprising when that airport is the ONLY access to the town for much of the year. I am also surprised that Workplace Health and Safety don't take an interest. I can't walk on a plank 3 metres above the ground but one of my passengers could die of a heart attack clinging to a padlocked gate (dramatic drum-roll). Cutting or glueing the locks or pissing on the caretakers door (as suggested to me once) won't solve the problem.
Overcharging is part of the downward spiral of GA. As landing and fueling charges rise fewer planes use overcharging airports. Less traffic means less income, so charges per aircraft are raised further, again reducing traffic. We all know where this is going. With costs sky high and many places not viable to land many current and potential GA pilots are seeking less expensive interests.
Our capitalist society only works properly when there is competition. When competition doesn't exist or is impractical (eg airports) then govt must impose checks and balances, otherwise unscrupulous operators take advantage of the situation as we are seeing now. When I'm up YKOW way next I will seek a face-to-face meeting with the community CEO, but it would appear that the heavy ammunition I was seeking does not yet exist. Your advice re achieving the correct level of security in accordance with their TSP is good and will certainly be passed on to the CEO.
Cheers, RA