PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 21:07
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BASSA is a branch and that means it is controlled (or supposed to be controlled) by Unite. BASSA does not have the power to authorise the calling of strike action. It is impotent, and especially so in the face of the many Unite VCC members.

BASSA and Unite are separate entities and there is no automatic link between the two; Unite could terminate the arrangement as its discretion, as you have been made aware, Duncan.

BASSA, in its current dysfunctional guise, will never be granted collective bargaining rights for Mixed Fleet.

The pay on MF will be reviewed in the normal course of events, is likely to have a basic + flight pay component which is at or a little more than other airlines offer to new hires, with a performance related element which gives the "approx 10% above market rate" for those who meet the criteria.

This £1,800 per month suggested, without any evidence (as usual) as a typical Easyjet new recruit cabin crew take home pay is fantasy as I set out using referenced quotes on the previous page.

Something in the £1,000-£1,300 range is typical, and that is what MF delivers to most cabin crew currently, and this without the performance related element, which will become clearer during the course of the year.

Plus MFers are (almost) all saving £200 per annum in Union contributions which go into an unaccountable £1.5m per year BASSA black hole.

BASSA members and former members concerned about this illegal lack of accounts can email the Certification Officer to ensure this is properly addressed:

http://www.certoffice.org/Nav/Complaints.aspx

You'd be quite right to take your skills elsewhere STC if you could get a better deal there; but until there has been a full year of earnings, and the performance-related element of the package is fully evidenced, it's hard to say what your total remuneration will be, which I appreciate mustn't be easy when times are tight; however, the basic plus flight pay and Duty Free commission does seem to be the same or more than Easyjet and Virgin offer, and they don't have performance related options on top of that.

I really hope that MF continues to be the success it appears to be becoming and that as a consequence of that the bonuses will ensure that the market rate plus 10% can be adhered to for those crew who exceed expectations.

Judging by BASSA's success in "negotiating" a better deal for its current membership, I wouldn't be signing up to BASSA very fast.

Why entrust my financial future to a bunch of legacy fleet longhaul CSDs earning twice/three times my wage with most of my Union dues going direct to the Labour Party rather than to providing Union administration and support services?

Anyway, I hope Mixed Fleeters are treated reasonably by BA and in the interim are able to influence management directly to ensure transparency about the likely levels of performance related bonuses which should address many of the very valid concerns people like STC set out, and hopefully provide the financial rewards originally set out to those who joined the new fleet.