PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 18:14
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi TA
, well I guess it depends on the standpoint that you have on where CWL is in the UK regional pecking order, also to some extent its view of itself and the political culture influencing both.

CWL reflects the desire of the Welsh Assemby for Wales to be seen as more than a region of the UK. As such, it has persuaded itself that Wales and Cardiff being the capital needs an International Airport. Now, once upon a time the International bit meant something to people, but that has been lost as international travel has become routine. That didn't stop Cardfif International Airport getting a bit carried away with its place in the world and between the management and the politico's they began to think that they could walk on water.
Now, when times were good CIA,as was, managed to alienate most of the big LoCo operators with high charges. Eventually, WW gave it a try and largely made a reasonable fist of it. Unfortunately, like the airport, WW themselves have a fatal flaw as the unloved child of BMI etc. So, no matter how you talked it up, when the poo hit, it was almost inevitable that it would fail, as sadly WW will in its entirety when the cash runs out. We now have the situation where the Spanish own the place and the sense of ruderlessness is palpable in the place. So, no I don't think its unfair to beat up the management and the Welsh Assembly for mismanaging the whole thing for the last 15 years. IMHO the main reason BRS grew as it did, was that it fed (and continues to feed) from CWL's market. Had that market been nurtured and encouraged with infrastructure, marketing, attracting a major LoCo with a proper pricing structure, BRS may have been left as the 2nd rate dump that it was 15 years ago. Anyone remember the old terminal there?
So we are where we are, CWL is not robust because it has no major scheduled player, limited and shrinking market, failing political support and no plans from the Spanish to take things forward.
Sorry to be so negative as my job is as stake too, but until boomtime comes again its a busted flush.