PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Day in the life of an Instructor v Day in the life of a charter pilot
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 06:49
rmcdonal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I will play the devils advocate to RENURPP, my experience of Instructing was completely different from RENURPP as was my experience in GA and charter.
I found a charter gig that had me fly a grand total of 10 scenic flights, the rest being charters. And not just the into the local community and then to Darwin charters, but the one side of the NT and back again type. It included low level Dingo baiting (not for the squeamish) fruit bat tracking and landing on some of the most interesting strips in the NT (well in my opinion, I haven't been to them all so am not an expert). I was able to transport a wide range of items from the mail to groceries all the way to medivacs just because I was the only one within 400K with an aeroplane.
Yup I sat in some very isolated places waiting in the 40c heat for a Doc to finish his clinic, however I also had the opportunity to sit on the bank of a billabong having been flown in by helicopter just to have a go at catching a Barra (fishing fail, but at least the chopper pilot managed to find us lunch).
All this before 500hrs

My instructing experience however was not as favourable, I did not work in a sausage factory however still found myself going around and around in the circuit (it takes a student on average 10-20hrs to go solo, 5hrs of ops eff/SL/turns/ Stalls etc, followed by 5-15 hrs of circuits. On average you can do 6 or so circuits in an hr, so 30-90 circuits per student, this is where circuit bashing comes into play).
While instructing I was also flying twin charter, however as I had an instructor rating and the other casual did not I was often bumped from the charter to instruct and sent to do circuits, having an instructor rating actually reduced my income as S/E work pays less than twin work.

I do agree on one point with RENURPP, if you don't really want to instruct then don't do it.