PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Day in the life of an Instructor v Day in the life of a charter pilot
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 04:06
RENURPP

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
Since when did instructing mean or require staying at home?

I suspect from some of the responses here, some of these charter pilots have seen none of the real world.

The majority of pilots go the charter way as it is easier.
These same pilots' knowledge of instructing and where that takes you and what it allows you to do, were to work, appears to be almost zero.

Flying in circle around Kakadu, Bunlge Bungle or any other scenic operator is NOT seeing the world. Neither is flying indigenous people around Arnhem Land.

The fact is most GA charter pilots only venture within a few hundred miles from their base. Big deal guys!

AS I said earlier I have tried them both. Started RPT RHS, then instructing 6 6 years (combined with some charter, then charter for 7 years (combined with instructing) and then flying jets for 16. The instructing lead to more opportunities, it was by far the most rewarding, and it lead to the most travel were I could actually stop and see places.

Charter was OK, but mostly sitting around waiting. Not as rewarding.

I understand that instructing is not for everyone, but don't try and sell Roxy based on your biased opinion, if you haven't tried it, then you are not really equipped to criticise are you?

Instructing gets a bad rap from people who were not suited to it and also those who want to sell their own choice. In reality if you get a job at a good school it can be much more enjoyable than scenics, freight and passengers.

The argument will go on well after this thread is lost, so make your own mind up. You will know inside what you really want. If instructing isn't it, the best thing you can do for future potential students and CPL's is join the masses and fly 210's and 206's around for a while and leave it to people who want to be there.