PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 03:45
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
777fly;

Thanks...I obviously hadn't recalled the exact circumstances in that collision although I certainly recall the outfall.

For practical purposes the point is made, that a swept-wing transport will not survive the loss of the entire VS using the only remaining controls available to the crew, differential thrust and possibly very judicious and patient use of small bank angles, and this, to be sure, does not begin to address the problems created by the swift loss of all three hydraulic systems, (for which, it has been pointed out, ACARS messages would exist in some form).

No matter at which point in the descent from FL350 to the sea, any crew response that could maintain some semblance of controlled flight would require enormous discipline and concentration and some luck.

Maintaining controlled flight may be logically possible under such loss as is theorized, but I think, highly improbable, especially under the circumstances faced by the crew.

Re-focussing - How they got there is THE question that requires an answer because loss of airspeed does not, in and of itself, result in loss of control.

I think we are left with explaining how the aircraft went from stable M0.82 flight, through a loss of airspeed data, to a high-speed vertical impact with the sea, with the aircraft intact.

The commentary regarding the Ile de Sein's and the Phoenix Remora 6000's capabilities provides the best hope of finding out and short of that, the photographs and whatever is brought to the surface for traditional accident investigation techniques.

PJ2

Last edited by PJ2; 22nd Apr 2011 at 05:12. Reason: Removal of some comments