PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 00:11
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JD-EE,

I am NOT assuming that LKP and sea-level impact are necessarily even in close proximity. If some "people are presuming the point of impact equals the LKP", as you suggest, I am not among them.

Quote:
"So we can't talk anything about drift."

Quite: the only "drift" calculation I've posted is what I called the "29-hour voyage" of the fin-rudder assembly between June 6 & 7.

We still don't have a very good idea of the sea-bed impact position, and certainly not of the sea-level impact position. See wes wall's comment.
As far as I know, the only indication the BEA has given is in their Presentation at a Press Conference on 4 April 2011:
http://www.bea.aero/fr/enquetes/vol....4avril2011.pdf
... in the form of a small map on Page 8. This points a large, but sharp-headed arrow at a point just under 10 km NNE of the LKP, which point it refers to as the "Accident Site (in the area of the abyssal plain)".
This "accident site" is presumably their indication of the approximate position of the debris field.

If the BEA's arrow is intended to be taken literally, it seems odd that they don't simply publish the Lat/Long: anyone capable of sailing to the area would be well able to infer the position from that map. That's why I'm disinclined to take it at face value.

Chris