PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meloz and 89
Thread: Meloz and 89
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2002, 02:45
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What an interesting canundrum CX is showing himself to be with each new post.

The "man" who is congratulated by his friends for making a "gutsy decision" to scab writes in his last post,
Yes, I felt like a real idiot for even considering their demand. I should have walked out, gone sick or some alternative course of action.
..what a MAN!

There was no "coercion" as has been suggested by another of our scab contributors - in FACT I did NOT sign my resignation on that night, but waited until August the 24th!

FACT: Gentlemen such as Captain Henry Theunissen and Captain Ron Brennan did not tender THEIR resignations until several weeks into the Dispute, after which time they had evaluated, from the working offices of Ansett in Melbourne and Brisbane, exactly what dirty, underhanded work was being carried out against the pilots.

Likewise there were pilots on overseas basings who returned weeks later and with the exception of 2, ALL submitted their resignations after studying the situation. Beforehand however, they were courted seriously by the company, being promised instant upgrades if they would sign the limousine delivered Individual contract.

But back to CX. Here is a man who willingly takes the accolades for his "gutsy decision", but wishes his wife could have been there when he "should have walked out, gone sick or some alternative."
A "man" who voted against the action from the outset (or so he would have us believe NOW ) but who pretended to be in agreement..."Yes, I felt like a real idiot for even considering their demand......Can you imagine being summoned by the union at about 9pm to be at HQ at 10pm. For Perth pilots it was 8pm so that nobody could leak the ridiculous request.
Gutless from the outset, CX?!

203, you ask "How do you guys feel about yours being handed in without your knowledge, consent (strictly speaking),etc?
Does it not bother you at all or did it leave you feeling as though you'd been played for a fool, or anything?
"
The opportunity was available for any pilot who didn`t wish his resignation to be exercised to contact the companies and say so.
However, the BEST LEGAL ADVICE AVAILABLE (by QC`s) was that we had to resign to avoid extreme legal action from the companies (and other, such as that d!ckhead who owned Hamilton Island at the time..Keith something or other).

jupiter2, you ask/state, "Apart from what the '89 dispute did to ANY pilot in Australia, did ANY of you have ANY idea of what it did to everyone else working in an airline or tourist industry or their families for that matter?"
...and I feel truly sad that YOUR misconception of that event continues to thsi day.
IF you were involved, you would recall that it was THE AIRLINES that shut the services down. We were still working the 9-5 schedules, and we offered to return to FULL services early in September - again declined by THE COMPANIES, and of course HAWKE!
Go back and do some research please.

For the time being (I have to deadhead soon ..on a 2:1 pay CREDIT ), my advice to YOU CX is to have your wife write to SQ and tell them that she wouldn`t be too happy about you being Singapore based. Those Asians love to be shown some leadership qualities.
Oh, and btw, your acceptance into SQ isn`t assured until 12 months after CHECKOUT (in case you weren`t aware), dismissal or leaving at ANY time before the 5+ years, for any reason, will see you forfeit that "hard-earned" wealth.
But then that`s (you) assuming that you`re going to be given a start!