PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your favourite moment in a Helicopter!
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2011, 12:50
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque turn, yeah SOP for getting going back where you've just come from, real quick like.

Back on thread, a couple of standouts.

Coming to a stop with a couple of feet of skids sticking over the edge of a ten foot drop with father in law on board on a 3B1 after a freewheel slip at fifty feet just starting to approach translation downwind. Tried twice to re-engage the blessed thing on the way down and what happens on the ground, you guessed it, re-engaged like nothing was wrong.

Coming to a stop in amongst a big heap of large rocks without a scratch after the damper clamps on a G5 completey and suddenly departed company with the mast. Talk about twitchy, I could only just steer it straight and held the breath for quite some time after coming to a sliding stop, sitting at 3200 locked on the controls and repeating to myself, good boy ----, good boy ----. Almost went upside down 2 or 3 times.

Getting my old man to take off and hover a G5, after an hour and his abscense from a flying machine of any sort for 30 years, the last of which had been P51's in Japan. Following on the family theme signing out my son on mustering and then doing double musters with him. Not too many have done that.