PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2011, 08:09
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the CVN might be doing is moving to provide a seaborne GCAS from relatively close by. As another poster has said, AAR can be used in place of high tempo, but it is convenient to have assets on standby, near at hand, with more weapons if it is deemed fit. If only those new tankers could give you an airborne reload! Of course the baddies don't know when you launch from a flat top, but they do when you launch from GDC or even Marham, perhaps worth thinking about.

Interesting debate going on wrt to Libya. A few things are given in my opinion:

1. CDG probably proves that, whilst it is flexible and available, a single ship class is probably inflexible in its own right. Answer, buy two.
2. CVS had no sweep or CAP for the last few years, without which it was only ever going to be of any use in very permissive environments. Answer, buy multi-role.
2A. Harrier would be very useful in this war but money needed to be saved somewhere. Who to blame seems to be the current focus for this particular one. I reckon it could bring weapons back, and yes I've tried it.
3. Land based air power can get to coastal countries so long as over flight, dipclear etc can be sorted, fuel isn't an issue and bladders are in fine fettle. Answer, buy a big boat or rely on stealth and plausible deniability, or buy all three. Or 'hope it'll be fine', that would work as well.
4. No politician, or anyone of sufficient influence to worry about, is ever going to make up their mind one way or another on the grounds of opinion, heresay, drivel and fiction from an internet forum or blog. These places are for sad individuals like us who can't let the day job go...and for a weird bunch who would like our day job but never really got round to it.