PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Penang, Western Hill and Butterworth
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2011, 00:55
lauriebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PN, the funicular railway has been closed since February last year for a major re-vamp. Gone is the middle station where a change of trains was made. The journey now will be in modern style air conditioned carriages which make the run from bottom to top stations in about 15 - 20 minutes, as opposed to the 30 minutes previously. As yet, the railway has not been re-opened but that is likely next month. Presently, trips to the top are made by 4x4 up the jeep track which starts at the Botanic Gardens.

The restaurant at the top of the hill has also been completely renovated and is a nice spot to spend time. The fountain, I think, has gone.

Sandy Parts, there is still an RAAF contingent at the base but entry is controlled by the RMAF. I have tried a few times at the Guardroom to see if I could get visitors on but no joy.

Cubanate mentioned the Runnymede earlier. That now lies empty, the Army moved out a couple of years ago. There was mention that it could be restored as a hotel although not much work in that direction seems to have been done so far.