PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2011, 17:47
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
AA

It horrified me when we were subsequently ordered not to discuss the potential cause with the bereaved "in case it embarrassed Boeing"...

ZD576 Fatal Accident Inquiry – Witness J

Boeing Vertol have a vested interest in deterring any report which leaves them liable. This company is well funded and has shown a determination in the past to influence the outcome of inquiries. When Wg Cdr M Pledger took command of 78 Sqn in the Falkland Islands in Feb 88 I asked him to brief the Chinook Flight on the findings of the BOI for the fatal crash which killed Flt Lts Moffat, Newman, Sgt Johns and a number of engineering personnel, as this had not then been published. As Chairman of the board of inquiry he briefed 2 findings: the first his own most probable cause (failure of a hydraulic jack due to poor quality control at Boeing Vertol) and then that which would actually be published due to the failure of MOD to face pressure brought to bear by Boeing Vertol (cause unknown).

Haddon-Cave Report

Criticisms of Sir Malcolm Pledger

In my view, however, Sir Malcolm Pledger, did have a number of options and duties on taking up his appointment as the new CDL which he did not avail himself of or fulfil.......

Please tell me .......