PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forthcoming Book on The 49ers
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2011, 05:33
Gobblydegook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Good Review, Old Pilot

Thanks for the review, Old Pilot.

I couldn't wait for Amazon and read the e-version. It took me 3 days too - the hardback arrived on Day 3

Your summary says it all. I think a non-aviator might gain some better perspective of the later chapters having read how a "typical" (ho-ho) pilot builds his career in the early days. I have to admit at having had quite a few chuckles at the beginning, too.

I wonder whether the "average" pilot will discount The 49ers' tale as boring history? It seems to me that the cycle continues today e.g. look at AHK freighters and compare with ASL. To me, like "On Wooden Wings" and "Flying the Line", John's story is almost as essential for a professional aviator as re-checking the memory items after leave. I think it will become a classic.

It's just too tempting not to highlight one chapter out of a 400+ page book: Chapter 23 "Betrayal". It starts with the quote by Winston Churchill: ‘An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile – hoping it will eat him last.’

It's rather tragic, but the actions taken in that chapter sealed the fate of The 49ers by turning the AOA's strategy around. So much for "Teamwork before all else. NO POLITICS! We are all on the same team; we succeed or fail as a team".

I feel - looking at the overall result - the AOA failed as a team. The fact that the "opposition" broke the Law isn't really relevant - we should have been able to deal with it and produce a better outcome. Those Judas's amongst us should hang their heads in shame. Those sucked in by the Judas' spin have learned a bitter lesson. Let everyone else learn from those mistakes - we can't afford to keep re-inventing the wheel in unionism.

Unfortunately, I'm flying tomorrow and will be unable to make the book-signing, so will miss the tea and biccies at Bookazine. Nonetheless, I congratulate John Warham, on not only an excellent book, but also for such inspirational leadership over some 15 years.

Court of Final Appeal here we come!

(PS If you haven't read it -do so!)