PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - qatar airways flight safety office
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2002, 15:28
nightbird

Thumbs up We all started as FOs

Hey NA,
Thanks for sharing that with us.
i have some idea how that feels,having got a couple of such calls myself,over the last 15 years.
The Qatari safety office sure looks like they are on the ball,and thats a good thing,beleive me.
The Airline i fly for has a 100% fdr monitering programme.
I was a Captain on 737-200s for 3 1/2 years,and now on the A320 going on 2 years.
Both the "Red Flags" i had were on the 737.
One was a slightly positive touch-down(about 3 Gs)which had been done by the FO. Company training Capt who talked to me was quite understanding,(i gave him all the info he wanted)And thats the last i heard of that.
This incident did not prevent me from giving landings to FOs.
i just started the practice of informing the PAX(during my short welcome aboard announcement)if that particular sector was being flown by the First Officer!
the other "call" was an unstabilized approach flown by myself!(it was a circle to land, stabilized at 200 agl)
in retrospect i had noticed the FO squirming a little on his seat!
So, i promised the safety office(and more importantly myself)that i would encourage FOs flying with me to feel free to articulate their "concerns", and ofcourse not thing twice about "Going Around" .
i know that as long as i keep this promise,i should be able to stay out of trouble(for the most part!)
Before i became a Capt myself i remmember all those who had let me gain valuable experience by allowing me to do Take-offs and Landings.
i feel i owe it to them(and to this great job called "Airline Captain")
to let those who are following,get as much hands on experience as i can safely let them have.
A Senior Flt safety office type told me once,that there is nothing wrong with letting the FO fly as long as you ensure that the Approach is stabilized well in time.
If it is not, don't hesitate to carry out a Missed Approach.
The safety folks would be more than happy to chalk it off to experience.
So i guess thats how it works in all great airlines.
Happy Landings