PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tony Clarke photos
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2011, 20:08
D.C.W.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice a reference to the old photos on my Flickr pages.
The pics from the 1950's and 1960's are mostly quick scans from a collection of negatives taken by an enthusiast called Gerald Lawrance. He was based in the Cambridge area, and travelled a lot throughout East Anglia and the South East. The earliest shots are from 1948, when he was a teenager, and come from Airshows as well as airports and smaller airfields. They cover a very wide spectrum of types both military and civil, and although they are of variable quality, the 4000 odd negatives make up a significant archive.
When Gerald died, the collection went to Tony Clarke (who is very much still with us ). Since his recent retirement, Tony has spent a lot of time scanning and researching the photos. We both felt the pictures deserved a wide audience, and I have been adding them to my Flickr Photostream and posting selections on the Flypast Forum. There are still a lot more to be worked through. It is frustrating that very little information on exact dates and locations has survived, and research has been very time consuming.
So if you like Geminis and Messengers, Beaufighters and Valiants, Bristol Freighters and Tudors, take a look at:
Flickr: David Whitworth's Photostream
The pictures are of variable quality, and you will have to put up with my own more modern sets, but if anyone can add to the (limited) research, I would be grateful for info via Flickr or E-mail.
Thanks for the opportunity to plug the link, I wish I could claim more credit for the photos.
DCW