PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yes to third runway at LHR!!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2002, 13:20
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If LHR does get a new runway, I don't fancy doing Ground!

Point 4 is right, year on year there is an gradual increase in traffic. There has been no increase in runway capacity AFAIK, so that means more delays, and traffic still about later on into the night. I can remember only a few years ago Clearance Delivery and Ground could usually be bandboxed on to one frequency between 2130 and 2200, and same went for Arrivals and Departures. Now all four positions are still open at 2200, and the two 'late stays' off the afternoon shift who cover for possible sickness on the night shift more often than not stay on to 2230, or even later, because it is just too busy to bandbox. And that's on a regular day, with no incident/runway closure, bad weather or horrendous slot delays.

Terminal capacity is another, although in some ways related, issue. It wasn't helped by BA bringing a load of long hauls over from Gatwick. T4 is, well, I'm going to use the word 'challenge'! On the ground the other day there were 5 BA 747s and 777s all waiting, with NO stand allocated, let alone just waiting for another aircraft to vacate it! Looked just like a day at Davis Monthan!

Gonzo.