PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio nerves
Thread: Radio nerves
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2002, 12:37
cogy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio nerves

Hi,

I started my PPL in June and have completed about 20 hours so far, including my first solo last week.

At first I really looked forward to my lessons, but for the last 5 or 6 lessons I've come to the point where I'm becomming disheartened and aprehensive about continuing with my training.
The reason is is my lack of confidence with regards to using the radio. I hoped with more and more hours under my belt my confidence would grow, but the complete opposite seems to be taking place, and I feel as though I've hit a brick wall.

Even on the day of my first solo, I was more afraid of using the bloody radio than actually flying the aircraft alone for the first time!
Thankfully, everything went ok and I completed probably my best circuit and landing so far during the solo. But its the mental 'brick wall' I mentioned thats really got me disheartend at the moment.

After speaking to my instructor about this, he's been more understanding towards me and has shown more patience with me over the last few lessons. But I'm afraid I'll never be able to overcome the problem I'm currently having and therefore not going to progress any further with my training until I do.

The main problem I have is recognising my call-sign, understanding whats being said to me, and repeating back to ATC what I need to. I just get a mental block and end up saying things completely wrong or freezing completely - relying on my instructor to 'bail me out'.

Can anyone offer any help or guidance with this? Is this normal for some students to be apprehensive of radio work after 20 odd hours training?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.