PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2011, 10:24
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irrespective of data interpolation points versus timing interval, be it at 8Hz, 16Hz, 32Hz or as PJ2 queried 100Hz, a smoothing curve can ultimately be provided to cover the slower data rates. As PJ2 has pointed out, the side stick may be moved at a very high rate and not be recorded, however the reaction time of the hydraulics will normally reveal something that has been missed and show it as a potential overshoot/undershoot.

The feedback loop in the hydraulics system will have a gain that makes it track the inputs fairly accurately, but inevitably it will have some lag, as anticipation is not built into it by design. Rather, in the case of the rudder, a damping action to avoid excessive yaw is provided, and it is evident when looking at the TSB of Canada's A319 trace. The lateral 'g' records provide a guide as to how that correction is being applied.

The disparity on the left/right elevator positioning is rather disconcerting, but I am sure there is a valid reason for it - part of which could be PJ2's reasoning.

Back to reality.... Does the A319 have a PTLU (Pedal Travel Limiter Unit) in the system, and is there an acceptable rate of change built in that further limits the commands to the rudder? From what I have seen in these traces, I suspect not.

As has already been suggested, the A319 example will not be valid with what is recorded by AF447 - it certainly wasn't wake turbulence that brought it down.