PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bmibaby
Thread: Bmibaby
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2011, 08:11
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EI went head to head with Easy on Amsterdam but soon gave up. Baby is now going head to head with Easy to Ams only from BHD rather than BFS. EI got its fingers burnt and soon had to retrench - will baby have to do the same - at its prices I cant see it growing the market?
Certainly some truth in this that EI did get their fingers burnt but it is also worth remembering that the AMS route had way too may seats available, and EZY itself did badly in the period where EI and EZY had to share the numbers. EI's challenge was at that time that most peope identify that EZY was so well established in the market. It is fair to say that EI could now operate some of the closed route at lower frequency and do alot better than before given that their presence in the market has improved.

As far as WW high pricing is concerned, I would suggest the expansion in BHD Europe market had to be sold to LH board as a profitable move, and I would imagine that management took sold it that BHD was niche given its proximity to the population of Belfast etc. Hence to some extent feel they can command a high price. In addition, if they can get some of the seats sold in advance at attractive price they will have some scope to compete in early 2012 when EI and EZY put on seat sales, at some of the frequencies to the sun route I cant see a huge impact on the market. EZY will compete heavily on AMS and interestingly EZY have increased frequency as of summer season on AMS first increase (1 extra per week?) since it went daily so one would wonder have then know in advance that WW were coming to the market?

EI-BUD