PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-life crisis ATCO needs help!
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2011, 19:44
TCASClimb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Mid-life crisis ATCO needs help!

Guys and girls,

In the style of a classifieds advert

"UK Area valid, top-payscale ATCO, instructor etc etc, seeks to leave the UK behind and become a one-trick pony somewhere else in the big, wide world, where the Exchequer cant get me and rape me for nearing 50% of my hard-earned dollar. All climates considered, but must be FUN PLACE FOR YOUNG FAMILY TO LIVE. GSOH!!".

That about sums it up I think, but on a serious note, without wanting to dredge up old threads, I wondered if any of you UAE ACC guys out there could bring me up to date on a few things.

Previous threads have alluded to a less-than ideal working atmosphere and a distinct lack of management direction, creaking kit and broken promises regarding the T&Cs for the area guys. Is that still the case? (hold on a mo....sounds familiar!!)

Is anyone actually prepared to spell out (even circa) how much a valid ATCO, OJTI etc could expect to reach their pocket (incl. shift allowances, unsociable hours, OJTI extras) as rumours abound, but are never a reliable source to base a life-changing career move on? (on our shop floor, the DXB Approach "rumours" were £8-9k pcm....reliable or not?)

Also, a lot has been said over the months about the widening gap between rentals for family-friendly villas, and the amount subsidised. Is this still the case, as I hear that rentals are supposed to have fallen somewhat in the UAE?

Judging by the mini-exodus of NATS Approach controllers from Middlesex International to sunnier climbs, things must be pretty appealing still out there even in these trying times, but that is to DXB, so just wondered what sort of career-move an ACC ATCO, multi(9+)years valid with all the belts and braces attached (OJTI etc etc) could expect at this moment in time.

Am seriously thinking about jumping overboard from the good ship NATS, but with a Union with new-found bite behind us, decent £££ employer pension contributions each month paid for me and let's face it, a generous annual leave entitlement......(quick, before I start selling the package back to myself).......it is the UK that I have the issue with, and to be more specific the cost of living here.

I am under no illusions that there may be a bit of "grass being greener" going on here, but to avoid forever being just curious, I am getting ever closer to taking the plunge. Being a notoriously poor gambler, I need to be sure that this gamble would pay off long-term.

Cheers people.

Last edited by TCASClimb; 19th Apr 2011 at 05:33. Reason: Changed sections of entry