PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Speed tape on PFD
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2002, 05:26
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Interesting: If any of our Airbus pilots have discussed this outside the cockpit, I doubt that many of us would have understood small fragments of this topic.

By the way, the 757 was designed with round gauges for engine instruments and the six primary flight instruments and standby gauges, from what I remember.

Southwest Airlines, from what I've seen in photographs, had Boeing design their 737 NG CRT screens to show 'round gauge' flt. instruments, if I remember correctly. And for safety standardization, the Southwest pilots use very little of the later models "magic", according to what some of their captains have told me.

How would NASA's Ames research or university research centers compare and rank the A-320 vs. old technology flt instrument displays, based on intuitive perception and safety, or is this topic too abstract, knowing that other factors can have a strong influence, as pointed out by previous remarks on this subject?

I'm hoping to one day be more open-minded about the A-320-it is slowly replacing our old planes and there is almost zero chance that we will ever order any 737s, unless a leasing company or the manufacturer practically gives them and the simulators away far below cost-something like Airbus marketing tactics, excluding the very high replacement part costs.