PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 Buffet margin versus turbulence speed
Old 18th Apr 2011, 15:46
Pitch Up Authority

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks but one more question

Thanks for the feedback. From all this I understand that M 0.86 will give me the greatest margin to buffet in case of g-load increase due to turn or turbulence but will provide less margin in case of speed excursions due to turbulence. The combination of g-load and speed excursion at M 0.86 will put me on the limit, hence reduction of M 0.86 to M 0.82-0.85.

We have 1.3 set as a margin and since we have the have the CF680C2B5F our max will almost always be 1.3 limited (forward CofG)

However when using cruise MAC 29 after center tank runs empty our max goes up by +/- 1000 ft getting close to or even higher then the thrust limit alt (defined by R/C 100 ft/min at CLB thrust and wings level)

Does anybody know if the FMC LNAV limits the bank angle when flying at MAX Thrust Lim Alt as a function of available CRZ thrust?
(CRZ is about 2 % lower than CLB on this engine eroding the 100 ft/min extra with CLB)

I know the 737 has that functionality but have not seen it written for the 747-400.

Same question when using HDG SEL in AUTO (Uses V2, TAS and Config) to set bank but what about: bank = (f) (thrust) in AUTO

Could be usefull when flying at ISA +20 while avoiding TS (gust during banked turn)

Thanks PuA

Last edited by Pitch Up Authority; 18th Apr 2011 at 15:58.