PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2011, 14:42
3holelover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the peanut gallery...

Wouldn't the simplest explanation (keeping Mr Occam and his razor in mind) for both engines having lost their entire forward fan sections, including all traces of fan, be that they were singing pretty fast when they hit the water? Also, from the looks of them, near half of both of their remaining fan case sections have been crushed on impact, so I don't think there was much "spooling down" going on... More like sudden stoppage, no?

I've examined the photos and would like to offer my observations...

The wing with the text decals still visible is undoubtedly the left wing.
The wing with gear still attached is definitely the right wing. The pointed bit of structure just inboard of the visible flap track shows some of the plumbing that would indicate where the pylon would have been.
On the left gear, there is a hunk of 'stuff' between the #3 and 4 wheels... It looks like it might be some of the I/B flap track and carriage assembly... which it sort of lives near when the gear is up and locked... Perhaps impact forces allowed for the gear to have ripped this from it's roots on it's way down? Anyway, whatever it is, I'm sure it also has a story to tell...

I too enjoy reading and learning from all of this. Thanks to all of you for the opportunity!