PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somebody else must still love being in the RAF as much as me...
Old 18th Apr 2011, 10:30
Grumpy106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I still love being part of the RAF, despite the fact that I am in complete non-job (which, thankfully, is being disestablished) and am missing life on the front line. The people that I work with are top-drawer, and are the only thing that makes coming into work worthwhile. I can safely say that is the case for every bunch of people with whom I have worked (with the odd exception, obviously) and that is what has, and I believe always will, set us apart from civvy-street. A wise man once told me that we are always only one posting away from a PVR, and I have thought long and hard about what I will do if I am not sent to what I consider to be a worthwhile job for my next tour. Should I go I will miss the spirit, ethos, sociability, humour and sensibilty of the RAF which, despite the best efforts of Gordon Brown and the incompetents who have been running MOD for the last few decades, they cannot take away from us. Mrs G106 retired from the mob a while ago, and she is constantly astounded by the lack of appreciation of what the military does for this country, and also the sheer lack of common sense amongst the vast number of civvies she comes into contact with. At least in the RAF you can always rely on a certain standard of intelligence and an understanding of what you are trying to achieve.