PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somebody else must still love being in the RAF as much as me...
Old 18th Apr 2011, 07:44
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I was just lucky; joined as a Rigger Brat (1971) age 16yrs+2days, promoted Sgt age 22 (on the back of an ill-judged redundancy programme & new non-passable promotion exam, which I somehow passed), Chief Tech age 29. Career brakes were then applied by Mikhael Gorbachov & his Glasnost & Perestroika notions.

As I coasted towards my age 40/22yr point, I realised that being in the RAF is like being at a super party; but like all parties, there is a time to leave - before you:

1. Drink way too much
2. Make a pass at the hostess (wife of Best Pal)
3. Have a fist fight in garden with Best Pal due to item 2 above
4. Wake up with re-arranged facial features next morning
5. Wish you had departed party when you had the first inclination to

So, I duly resisted the temptation to sign-on to age 47 (not a good age for a new career), and departed for the broad sunlit uplands of civil aviation. 16 yrs post-RAF, I'm now a freelance EASA licensed engineer (though I prefer the term 'technical prostitute'). In my 10yrs freelancing, I have survived 9/11, SARS, sundry wars & the present financial trauma. I have only been unemployed by choice, and I do very well thank you.

Some unsolicited advice for my light blue/dark blue/brown a/c engineering bretheren who are contemplating life beyond the Service (by choice or otherwise):

1. Be not afraid
2. Start NOW to study for your EASA licences. It will take you about 12-18 months to climb this mountain
3. You will not make a serious income in civil aviation if you ignore item 2 above
4. Buy yourself a B737NG or Airbus 319/20/21 Type Rating course (c2.5kGBP)
5. Look forward to continuous, well-paid employment (regular or freelance)

You guys & gals are ahead of the competition, simply by being who you are. I wish you all the very best of luck; but remember, you can make your own luck. As our Seat/Stick Interface bretheren say "YOU HAVE CONTROL".